Federal assistance to storm victims nears $12M
by For the MBJ
Published: June 14,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Federal assistance approved for people in 29 Mississippi counties that were declared a major disaster area by the president because of devastating storms and tornadoes in late April has reached $11,667,808.
Here is a summary through June 8, of all federal assistance to individuals who suffered losses due to the storms and tornadoes of April 2011:
• $7,094,008 in total housing and personal needs has been approved. Of that amount, $5,933,305 has been approved for housing expenses, including temporary rental assistance, home repair costs and assistance toward replacing destroyed homes
• $1,160,702 has been approved as “Other Needs Assistance” to cover essential disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and lost personal possessions
• $4,573,800 in loans to homeowners, renters or business owners has been approved by the U.S. Small Business Administration
• 6,926 applicants have registered with FEMA for some form of disaster assistance
• 2,897 visits have been made at Disaster Recovery Centers operated jointly by FEMA and the State of Mississippi
• 4,250 home inspections to confirm disaster damage have been completed.
• Teams of MEMA and FEMA Community Relations field specialists have distributed more than 44,304 flyers and worked in the affected counties to help identify and assist disaster survivors. In the course of explaining the recovery process, they have visited 13,149 residents, 1,675 businesses, 1,228 faith-based groups, 267 community organizations, 70 schools, 456 emergency managers, fire and law enforcement officials, 406 government officials and 119 post offices.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Federal assistance to storm victims nears $12M”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on