Ole Miss grants patent rights to ChromaDex
by For the MBJ
Published: June 14,2011
OXFORD — The University of Mississippi has granted ChromaDex Corp. the exclusive worldwide patent rights to a potential new therapeutic use for pterostilbene as an anxiolytic or anti-anxiety agent.
ChromaDex pTeroPure is an ultra-pure formulation of pterostilbene, a compound found in blueberries and demonstrated to have multiple health benefits.
Irvine, Calif.-based ChromaDex previously licensed two patents from UM that focus on the ability of pterostilbene to reduce blood lipoprotein levels and pterostilbene’s effect on oxidative stress and cognition. ChromaDex also holds rights to patents related to manufacturing claims.
“Adding the anxiolytic indication to our existing patent portfolio around pTeroPure allows us to capitalize on new product opportunities that we can pursue independently or with partners looking to differentiate their own products,” said ChromaDex president William Spengler.
Research conducted by the UM School of Pharmacy shows pterostilbene may have anxiolytic activities. The researchers determined pterostilbene activates the ERK signaling pathway in the hippocampus, an area of the brain speculated to play a role in anxiety. The effect of pterostilbene was investigated in a classic animal model of anxiety and found to be comparable in activity to the anti-anxiety drug diazepam used as the control drug in the model.
The first human clinical research study on pTeroPure is being conducted at the University of Mississippi Medical Center to evaluate the compound in patients with lipid (cholesterol) disorders.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location