State first to implement RIDE for employee verification
WASHINGTON — U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has launched Records and Information from DMVs for E-Verify (RIDE), a new feature which allows USCIS’ E-Verify program to validate the authenticity of Mississippi driver’s licenses used by employees as Form I-9 identity documents.
Mississippi is the first state to partner with USCIS to implement RIDE.
USCIS director Alejandro Mayorkas said, “This important enhancement strengthens E-Verify’s anti-fraud capabilities and will play a key role in helping employers in the U.S. maintain a legal workforce.”
More than 80 percent of employees present driver’s licenses to establish their identities when completing the Form I-9. By enabling E-Verify to compare driver’s license data against state records, RIDE is designed to improve E-Verify’s accuracy and help combat document fraud when determining employees’ eligibility to work in the United States while observing safeguards to protect employee’s personal data. RIDE helps combat document fraud by enabling E-Verify to confirm the authenticity of an additional identity document. For example, previously, if an employee presented a driver’s license to establish his or her identity and a social security card to establish his or her employment authorization, E-Verify would only have been able to confirm the validity of the social security card. RIDE enables E-Verify employers in Mississippi to confirm the validity of both documents.
The new E-Verify RIDE feature builds on existing technology and infrastructure that the Mississippi Department of Public Safety (MDPS) and other state public safety departments use in conjunction with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.
Currently, 4,336 employers representing more than 9,000 worksites in Mississippi use E-Verify. Nationwide, more than 269,000 employers at over 900,000 worksites are enrolled in the E-Verify program.
Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “State first to implement RIDE for employee verification”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar