Flood disaster assistance deadline approaching
by For the MBJ
Published: June 15,2011
WEST MISSISSIPPI — The deadline for Mississippi flood disaster survivors to register for federal disaster assistance is July 11.
Homeowners, renters and business owners who suffered losses in the flooding that began May 3 and live in the 14 declared counties may be eligible for housing assistance grants that include funds to rent a place to live while rebuilding; minor home repairs to make a home safe, sanitary and functional; and replace essential household items not covered by insurance.
Other types of grants may be available to replace personal property and help in meeting medical, dental, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable-aid programs.
The declared counties are Adams, Bolivar, Claiborne, Coahoma, DeSoto, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Sharkey, Tunica, Warren, Washington, Wilkinson and Yazoo.
Assistance for eligible survivors can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, medical and burial expenses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.
Registration can be done one of two ways: by calling FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585; or by going online, at www.disasterassistance.gov.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Flood disaster assistance deadline approaching”
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years