Golden Triangle Regional opens extended runway
by Associated Press
Published: June 16,2011
LOWNDES COUNTY — Golden Triangle Regional Airport is opening a runway extension today that local officials hope will attract larger planes and reduce restrictions on summer travel.
Mike Hainsey, GTRA executive director, told the Starkville Daily News the runway extension to 8,000 feet provides extra safety and capacity for aircraft that use GTRA, including Delta Air Lines, business jets and jets that come from Columbus Air Force Base to train at the airport.
He said a longer runway allows aircraft already using GTRA to carry more weight during the hot summer months.
The runway extension will also allow GTRA to attract larger aircraft as the airport grows, whether for industries or airlines, Hainsey said. That makes the extension a critical part of the growth plan for the 2,500-acre Golden Triangle Global Aerospace Park to the airport’s west.
“Finally, the Air Force T-38 from Columbus AFB has a minimum requirement of 8,000 feet, so we can now support the Air Force mission more fully,” Hainsey said. “Currently, 42 percent of our traffic is from the aircraft at Columbus AFB. That will increase.”
The $10.5-million project was paid for with airport funds and state and federal grants.
Source: Starkville Daily News
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip