Center assessing economic impact of oil spill
by For the MBJ
Published: June 21,2011
BILOXI — State experts are assessing the economic impacts of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill on the Mississippi seafood and other marine-related industries.
Mississippi State University’s Research and Extension Center in Biloxi is conducting a survey to find out more about the economic well-being of marine-related businesses affected by the oil spill. Researchers need information from these industries to accurately assess the economic impacts of the 2010 oil spill.
“The closures of significant portions of federal and state waters to commercial and recreational fishing as well as the closing of beaches have certainly affected businesses in the area,” said Ben Posadas, associate extension and research professor at MSU’s Coastal Research and Extension Center. “Having a better understanding of just how the production of goods and services were affected is important in making decisions about preventive measures that can be taken in the future to help decrease economic losses.”
This multi-year survey begins next month. Postcards will be sent to Mississippi Gulf Coast marine-related businesses to solicit their participation and inform them of the forthcoming survey. The results of the survey will be provided to policy-makers and trade associations to help them understand exactly how the oil spill affected the Gulf’s local and regional economies.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love