Economy worries keeping you awake?
What keeps you up at night? For many of us, sleepless nights are the result of financial worries.
A new Gallup poll asked Americans to rate those financial woes. At the bottom of the list is the worry about paying our credit card bill. Since 2008 many have cut down and cut up credit cards, reigning in those balances. In the last few months, average credit balances have begun to creep back up. I am always preaching the evils of consumer debt.
Based on this poll, I don’t think anyone is listening. Hey, as long as we can make the minimum payment, what is the problem?
We’re also not worried about covering our mortgage. All I hear on the news is foreclosure, foreclosure, foreclosure, but most people are managing just fine. We’re a bit more worried about paying our regular monthly bills. In fact, we’re more worried about that than covering Junior’s college education. I guess that’s because the light bill has to be paid in 10 days, while Junior won’t head to college for another 10 years.
So what are the top three financial worries for Americans? The first is not having enough money for retirement. Based on average contribution rates of about 8 percent (including employer match), we should be worried! Anything less than 20 percent is probably not going to cut it. Next on our list of worries is concern about paying for a healthcare crisis. Given our declining benefits and rising costs, this is a legitimate worry.
Below this, at number three on the list, above regular bills and our children’s education, is the worry that we won’t be able to maintain our standard of living. What!?! We’re more concerned about keeping up with the Jones than with paying our bills and preparing for college for our children.
It seems to me that if we could move this worry to the bottom of the list, everything else would take care of itself. Forget the fancy cars, the brand name fashions and the outrageous trips. Choose to live at a lower standard, and voila! No more sleepless nights!
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form