Flesher wins award
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 26,2011
Dale Flesher, professor and Arthur Andersen Alumni Lecturer in the Patterson School of Accountancy at the University of Mississippi, is the recipient of the 2011 Distinguished Achievement in Accounting Education Award from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
The award recognizes full-time college accounting professors who excel as educators and who have achieved national prominence in the accounting profession.
Among his many contributions, Flesher is known for his assistance in moving the AICPA library, a voluminous history of the accounting profession, from New York to the J.D. Williams Library at Ole Miss. Flesher served as a member of the AICPA’s Governing Council from 2005 to 2008 and as a member of the AICPA Foundation Board from 2002 to 2005. He has served on numerous AICPA committees, including his present role as part of the AICPA 125th anniversary advisory committee. He served a two-year term as president of the Teaching, Learning and Curriculum of the AAA.
During 34 years at UM, Flesher has spent his fair share of time in the classroom teaching accounting principles and mentoring students. He has also carved out a legacy of research and writing, which includes some 50 books and more than 300 articles published in over 100 different professional journals throughout the world. He was presented with the 2005 Thomas J. Burns Biographical Research Award at the Academy of Accountant Historians Hall of Fame Conference.
Flesher, who also serves as associate dean of the Patterson School, has played a key role in curriculum development at Ole Miss and serves as coordinator of both master’s and doctoral programs. He was recently named the fourth recipient of UM’s Distinguished Research and Creative Achievement Award.
Flesher joined the Ole Miss faculty in 1977, following four years at Appalachian State University. He received both bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Ball State University, and he holds a Ph.D. in accounting from the University of Cincinnati.
Flesher is married to Tonya K. Flesher, who is the Arthur Andersen professor of accountancy at Ole Miss. They are the parents of one son and one daughter.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition