Kelly appointed to board
Gov. Haley Barbour has appointed John R. Kelly to the Mississippi State Board of Education. Kelly’s term begins July 1, and he must be confirmed by the State Senate. The term expires June 30, 2020.
Kelly is Gulfport’s chief administrative officer and oversees the day-to-day operations of city departments. He has served in the position since 2006.
Kelly, a Utica native, previously served as municipal court administrator in Gulfport. He also has worked as regional director for community and family support with Navy Region Southeast in Jacksonville, Fla. Kelly held several positions at the Mississippi Cooperative Extension Service at Mississippi State University. He also was an adjunct professor at the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Park campus where he taught courses in sociology, social psychology and criminal justice.
Kelly was recently chosen as one of the Gulf Coast’s Outstanding Community Leaders by the Sun Herald. He served as chairman of the National Board of Directors for the American Cancer Society and was president and chief volunteer officer for the United Way of South Mississippi. He also has served as president of the Gulfport Job Corps Center and chairman of the board of trustees for the Gulf Coast Medical Center.
Kelly received a bachelor’s degree from Alcorn State University, a master’s degree from Wayne State University in Detroit and a doctorate from the University of Southern Mississippi. He is chairman of the board of deacons at Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church. Kelly and his wife, Bernell, have two daughters, Felice and Kristi, and one granddaughter.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!