UMMC offering first nurse residency program
by For the MBJ
Published: June 30,2011
JACKSON — The University of Mississippi Medical Center’s hospitals are offering new nurses a one-year residency program to help nursing graduates adjust to the stressful daily grind of frontline healthcare. According to UMMC, they are the first hospitals in the state to offer this program.
The Nurse Residency Program is a concept established by the University HealthSystem Consortium and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Originally developed in 2002, the program has spread to more than 60 hospitals across the nation.
UMMC nurse educators Joanne Coleman and Eloise Lopez implemented the program at the Medical Center last year. Coleman said they are seeking to gain national accreditation for the program. The programs have a marked effect on helping new nurses stick with their career choice.
The residency is now required of all newly hired nurse graduates as well as those with less than six months of experience. Because of the research-based curriculum, residents must develop research projects during the course of the year, which they present before graduation.
A central component of the residency are monthly seminars featuring speakers on professional development topics and the “Tales From the Bedside” group discussions, in which residents have the chance to share concerns or questions with an experienced nurse serving as the facilitator.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “UMMC offering first nurse residency program”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring