UMMC offering first nurse residency program
by For the MBJ
Published: June 30,2011
JACKSON — The University of Mississippi Medical Center’s hospitals are offering new nurses a one-year residency program to help nursing graduates adjust to the stressful daily grind of frontline healthcare. According to UMMC, they are the first hospitals in the state to offer this program.
The Nurse Residency Program is a concept established by the University HealthSystem Consortium and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Originally developed in 2002, the program has spread to more than 60 hospitals across the nation.
UMMC nurse educators Joanne Coleman and Eloise Lopez implemented the program at the Medical Center last year. Coleman said they are seeking to gain national accreditation for the program. The programs have a marked effect on helping new nurses stick with their career choice.
The residency is now required of all newly hired nurse graduates as well as those with less than six months of experience. Because of the research-based curriculum, residents must develop research projects during the course of the year, which they present before graduation.
A central component of the residency are monthly seminars featuring speakers on professional development topics and the “Tales From the Bedside” group discussions, in which residents have the chance to share concerns or questions with an experienced nurse serving as the facilitator.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “UMMC offering first nurse residency program”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)