Gov. Bryant’s hospital city will have to cure what ails us
Sure, we manufacture good news from time to time, but the bad news just keeps coming.
Most recently, the was The Daily Yonder article “Life Expectancy Falling in 561 Rural Counties” by Bill Bishop that documents the fact that life expectancy is declining in more rural areas than urban ones. Read it. The first thing, though, that pops out is that 14 of the top (uh, worst) 50 counties in America with the shortest life expectancies are in Mississippi, including the top (worst) seven.
We sure will be able to use that hospital city that Phil Bryant is talking about when he becomes governor. Let’s just hope we aren’t all dead before he gets it built and paid for.
Next, there was the report from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities that highlighted Mississippi and Alabama as the only two states, which continue to apply their sales tax fully to food purchased for home consumption without providing any offsetting relief for low- and moderate-income families.
Gosh, if Mississippians were able to purchase more healthy foods, maybe they wouldn’t have such short lifespans.
But wait, there is good news. Men’s Health magazine announced that Lexington, Ky., is the “Laziest City in America.”
Yeehaa. It wasn’t a Mississippi town.
Oh, what’s that you said?
Jackson was ranked as the third laziest city in America.
Maybe when Gov. Bryant gets his hospital city built, there will be lots of sidewalks leading up to it so we can exercise on the way to being treated for obesity and heart disease.
And with one of the slowest growing economies in the nation because of poor education and health care, Bryant’s feeling that healthcare is a prime issue is refreshing.
Starting with the elimination of corn-based sodas from K-12 campuses could jump-start all of Bryant’s plans. We agree.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option