Coast city says proposed bypass would kill it
Published: July 5,2011
KILN — A proposal to make Mississippi 43 a limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare, connecting Interstate 10 just south of Kiln with Interstate 59 near Picayune and Carriere is facing opposition.
Merchants say the proposal, if approved, would kill Kiln stone dead.
What the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants is a straight shot from the Gulf Coast that could be used as another hurricane evacuation route northward. The bypass would run up near Highway 603 and connect with Mississippi 43 to Picayune and on to I-59.
Local leaders say Kiln will be bypassed and an exit would be miles away for motorists who wanted to stop.
The proposed project is estimated to cost $35 million. MDOT says no final decision has been made.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money