Coast city says proposed bypass would kill it
Published: July 5,2011
KILN — A proposal to make Mississippi 43 a limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare, connecting Interstate 10 just south of Kiln with Interstate 59 near Picayune and Carriere is facing opposition.
Merchants say the proposal, if approved, would kill Kiln stone dead.
What the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants is a straight shot from the Gulf Coast that could be used as another hurricane evacuation route northward. The bypass would run up near Highway 603 and connect with Mississippi 43 to Picayune and on to I-59.
Local leaders say Kiln will be bypassed and an exit would be miles away for motorists who wanted to stop.
The proposed project is estimated to cost $35 million. MDOT says no final decision has been made.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen