Coast city says proposed bypass would kill it
by Associated Press
Published: July 5,2011
KILN — A proposal to make Mississippi 43 a limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare, connecting Interstate 10 just south of Kiln with Interstate 59 near Picayune and Carriere is facing opposition.
Merchants say the proposal, if approved, would kill Kiln stone dead.
What the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants is a straight shot from the Gulf Coast that could be used as another hurricane evacuation route northward. The bypass would run up near Highway 603 and connect with Mississippi 43 to Picayune and on to I-59.
Local leaders say Kiln will be bypassed and an exit would be miles away for motorists who wanted to stop.
The proposed project is estimated to cost $35 million. MDOT says no final decision has been made.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- USM staffers Olivia Hurst and Catherine Lott recognized by Public Relations Association of Mississippi