Coast city says proposed bypass would kill it
Published: July 5,2011
KILN — A proposal to make Mississippi 43 a limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare, connecting Interstate 10 just south of Kiln with Interstate 59 near Picayune and Carriere is facing opposition.
Merchants say the proposal, if approved, would kill Kiln stone dead.
What the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants is a straight shot from the Gulf Coast that could be used as another hurricane evacuation route northward. The bypass would run up near Highway 603 and connect with Mississippi 43 to Picayune and on to I-59.
Local leaders say Kiln will be bypassed and an exit would be miles away for motorists who wanted to stop.
The proposed project is estimated to cost $35 million. MDOT says no final decision has been made.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion
- Judge rules for Fish and Wildlife Service in frog habitat case
- Diamondhead Casino Corporation wins site approval