Coast city says proposed bypass would kill it
by Associated Press
Published: July 5,2011
KILN — A proposal to make Mississippi 43 a limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare, connecting Interstate 10 just south of Kiln with Interstate 59 near Picayune and Carriere is facing opposition.
Merchants say the proposal, if approved, would kill Kiln stone dead.
What the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants is a straight shot from the Gulf Coast that could be used as another hurricane evacuation route northward. The bypass would run up near Highway 603 and connect with Mississippi 43 to Picayune and on to I-59.
Local leaders say Kiln will be bypassed and an exit would be miles away for motorists who wanted to stop.
The proposed project is estimated to cost $35 million. MDOT says no final decision has been made.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Mars Food to celebrate 35 years in Port City
- Council wants more info on proposed baseball stadium