Entergy buys greenhouse gas in New York
by For the MBJ
Published: July 6,2011
NEW ORLEANS — Entergy Corporation has purchased 34,812 tons of greenhouse gas reduction credits from New York’s largest non-hazardous solid waste facility.
The credits were generated from the capture and destruction of methane, a byproduct of waste decomposition. Seneca Meadows Inc. owns and operates the waste facility, which is located in Waterloo and manages an average of 6,000 tons of waste per day.
Entergy’s purchase results in the prevention of nearly 35,000 tons of CO2 equivalent. According to the utility, preventing 35,000 tons CO2(e) from reaching the atmosphere is equal to taking more than 6,000 vehicles off the road for a year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- South's oldest casino to reopen as Golden Nugget
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'