BancorpSouth, FHLB Dallas offering grants
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 12,2011
TUPELO — BancorpSouth Bank recently joined with the Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas (FHLB Dallas) to provide a $175,000 Affordable Housing Program (AHP) grant to the Neighborhood Development Corporation (NDC) in Tupelo to provide low-income, first-time homebuyers with down payment and closing costs assistance.
NDC has offered financial and educational support for low-income, first-time homebuyers since 2007. This AHP grant will enable NDC to provide $7,000 to 25 qualified homebuyers to use toward purchasing a home in Lee, Itawamba, Monroe, Union, Prentiss and Chickasaw counties. The grants will be distributed to 20 rural households and five urban households. Five of the grants are reserved for special needs families.
Each year, FHLB Dallas returns 10 percent of its profits in the form of AHP grants that are distributed through its member institutions, such as BancorpSouth. AHP assists in the development of affordable, owner-occupied and rental housing for very low- to moderate-income households located primarily within FHLB Dallas’s five-state District of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas.
BancorpSouth has been a partner in NDC’s efforts for many years. BancorpSouth vice president Chip Ashford of Tupelo worked to facilitate the funding for the AHP grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics