BancorpSouth, FHLB Dallas offering grants
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 12,2011
TUPELO — BancorpSouth Bank recently joined with the Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas (FHLB Dallas) to provide a $175,000 Affordable Housing Program (AHP) grant to the Neighborhood Development Corporation (NDC) in Tupelo to provide low-income, first-time homebuyers with down payment and closing costs assistance.
NDC has offered financial and educational support for low-income, first-time homebuyers since 2007. This AHP grant will enable NDC to provide $7,000 to 25 qualified homebuyers to use toward purchasing a home in Lee, Itawamba, Monroe, Union, Prentiss and Chickasaw counties. The grants will be distributed to 20 rural households and five urban households. Five of the grants are reserved for special needs families.
Each year, FHLB Dallas returns 10 percent of its profits in the form of AHP grants that are distributed through its member institutions, such as BancorpSouth. AHP assists in the development of affordable, owner-occupied and rental housing for very low- to moderate-income households located primarily within FHLB Dallas’s five-state District of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas.
BancorpSouth has been a partner in NDC’s efforts for many years. BancorpSouth vice president Chip Ashford of Tupelo worked to facilitate the funding for the AHP grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force