Counties eligible for federal post-flood aid
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 13,2011
WEST MISSISSIPPI — Thirteen counties affected by historic flooding along the Mississippi and Yazoo rivers this spring are now eligible for all categories of public assistance reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
“This declaration gets the much needed financial help to our local governments,” Gov. Haley Barbour said. “Now they can rebuild and recover what was lost in this devastating flooding event.”
Public Assistance provides state and local governments and some private nonprofit agencies reimbursement grants of 75 percent of the eligible costs for the following: debris removal, emergency protective measures, repairs to roads and bridges, repair of public-owned buildings, water control facilities, public-utility systems, parks and recreational facilities.
The counties included in the declaration are: Adams, Bolivar, Claiborne, Coahoma, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Sharkey, Tunica, Warren, Washington, Wilkinson and Yazoo.
“We have been anticipating this assistance from FEMA and have already begun the process of working with local governments to prepare them for rebuilding their communities with the help of the Public Assistance Program,” said Mississippi Emergency Management Agency director Mike Womack. “This type of coordinated preparation will ensure the areas hit hard by the floods can rebuild and repair quickly.”
Source: Governor’s Office
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- County surveyor accused of doing unlicensed work, fraud
- Doctor appeals Medicaid, Medicare fraud conviction
- Brandon biometrics firm merges fingerprinting and smartphones
- With tar balls still common, some question end of oil spill cleanup
- Madison doctor explores JFK assassination in chilling thriller
- Ingalls lands another, $76.8M Coast Guard cutter
- Woman charged with murder in second buttocks-enhancement case