Universities looking to collaborate on ag efforts
STARKVILLE — Three mid-South universities met recently to develop a plan to combine resources to strengthen support for agricultural enterprises.
Experiment station and Extension Service directors from the University of Arkansas, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center and Mississippi State University met in Vicksburg to discuss cooperating on research and educational programs to benefit agriculture.
One of the targets of the three-state, or ArkLaMiss, collaboration is water resources management. Water is an ideal area for cooperation because its management impacts all crops and cuts across state boundaries, said George Hopper, Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station interim director.
“We are forming a team of Extension specialists and research scientists from the three states to work on water quality and quantity issues, including irrigation technology,” Hopper said. “One of the positive factors of the collaboration is the advantage it provides in securing federal and other funding for programs, such as water management, that benefit the entire region.”
The cooperative effort also focuses on making the most of existing resources in the three states.
Each state has strengths in research and Extension programs for different crops. Louisiana, for example, has strong research and educational outreach programs for its sweet potato and pecan growers.
Mississippi has outstanding catfish resources, including the National Warmwater Aquaculture Center at its Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville.
Arkansas has the largest blackberry farm in the world, and the state has a thriving blackberry research program. The University of Arkansas is also leader in the region on research and educational programs for beekeepers.
Participants in the Vicksburg meeting agreed to develop a plan to share resources and expertise for catfish, poultry, sweet potato and pecan programs.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation