Pleasant surprise: Businesses unaware of MDES’ E-Verify service
by Wally Northway
Published: July 15,2011
The business community had serious concerns back in 2008 when the Mississippi Employment Protection Act was signed into law. The legislation requires companies to use the E-Verify system to screen employees to ensure they are legal. Noncompliance means stiff, potentially business-killing penalties.
Now, the business community seems largely unaware — and pleasantly surprised — that the Mississippi Department of Employment Security will complete the E-Verify process for employers. Not only is it free, it takes all of the liability from the employer if an E-Verify issue is subsequently discovered.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip