Pleasant surprise: Businesses unaware of MDES’ E-Verify service
Published: July 15,2011
The business community had serious concerns back in 2008 when the Mississippi Employment Protection Act was signed into law. The legislation requires companies to use the E-Verify system to screen employees to ensure they are legal. Noncompliance means stiff, potentially business-killing penalties.
Now, the business community seems largely unaware — and pleasantly surprised — that the Mississippi Department of Employment Security will complete the E-Verify process for employers. Not only is it free, it takes all of the liability from the employer if an E-Verify issue is subsequently discovered.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Catfish industry launches TV advertising campaign
- Student body presidents pushing for on-time graduation
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- NCCI petitioning for workers' comp rate decrease