Miller earns award
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 17,2011
The Oxford/Lafayette Sustainability Leadership Award for Business was recently presented to Joel Miller, chef and proprietor of Ravine restaurant. The awards program is designed to showcase innovation and solutions, which in turn educate and inspire others. The annual Sustainability Leadership Awards (SLA), now in their second year, are a joint program of the University of Mississippi and the city of Oxford.
At his restaurant, Ravine, Miller emphasizes the importance of locally sourced foods. The menu notes that he composts, too, but his commitment to sustainable practices doesn’t stop at his own front yard.
Since spring 2009, Miller has served, without fee, as the host for a syndicated TV news segment that visits family farms in Mississippi, and then offers tips on cooking what they grow. These segments, intended to promote public interest in local sourcing, air on nine TV stations in Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee. He also hosts summer-camps for children, taking them to local farms to teach them where food comes from, and makes a special effort to engage underprivileged kids, to encourage an interest in growing and preparing food to help obliterate “food deserts.”
An ardent believer in community involvement, Miller commemorated Oxford’s recent Green Week observance by sharing the stage at Ravine with other restaurants for a “local chefs cooking locally” event that benefited the Oxford Food Pantry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force