Miller earns award
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 17,2011
The Oxford/Lafayette Sustainability Leadership Award for Business was recently presented to Joel Miller, chef and proprietor of Ravine restaurant. The awards program is designed to showcase innovation and solutions, which in turn educate and inspire others. The annual Sustainability Leadership Awards (SLA), now in their second year, are a joint program of the University of Mississippi and the city of Oxford.
At his restaurant, Ravine, Miller emphasizes the importance of locally sourced foods. The menu notes that he composts, too, but his commitment to sustainable practices doesn’t stop at his own front yard.
Since spring 2009, Miller has served, without fee, as the host for a syndicated TV news segment that visits family farms in Mississippi, and then offers tips on cooking what they grow. These segments, intended to promote public interest in local sourcing, air on nine TV stations in Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee. He also hosts summer-camps for children, taking them to local farms to teach them where food comes from, and makes a special effort to engage underprivileged kids, to encourage an interest in growing and preparing food to help obliterate “food deserts.”
An ardent believer in community involvement, Miller commemorated Oxford’s recent Green Week observance by sharing the stage at Ravine with other restaurants for a “local chefs cooking locally” event that benefited the Oxford Food Pantry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey