Denson: Choctaws to cooperate fully with FBI
by Associated Press
Published: July 18,2011
CHOCTAW — The chief of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians says he’s confident in tribal casinos’ management and has told casino officials to cooperate fully with the FBI.
A statement from Bradley Denson says the nature of the investigation is still unclear.
The Hattiesburg American reports that his statement July 15 says he is concerned about the investigation’s timing.
The FBI raided the Golden Moon and Silver Star casinos July 12, a week after Phyliss J. Anderson was elected to replace Denson.
In a separate FBI-related item, a Washington state Native American tribe is suing several Mississippi municipalities over allegations that law enforcement officials illegally invaded tribal lands during an FBI-led raid earlier this year.
The target of the Feb. 16 search was property that belongs to King Mountain Tobacco, which was under federal investigation in a black-market cigarette conspiracy. The City of Tupelo and Marshall County in Mississippi are among targets in the lawsuit.
The Confederated Tribes and Bands of Yakama Nation claim police barged onto tribal land without prior notice and invaded their peace.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reported that the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court of Eastern Washington, seeks a court order compelling the defendants to notify the tribe of any entry onto reservation lands.
Source: Hattiesburg American; Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- State of Louisiana mulling plan for Amtrak route
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law