New Atlantic storm threatening the Bahamas
ATLANTIC OCEAN — Tropical storm Bret is swirling in the Atlantic Ocean off the Bahamas and forecasted to stay away from the U.S. East Coast.
Authorities in the Bahamas issued a tropical storm warning early today for Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands, meaning tropical storm conditions are expected in the next few hours.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm’s center was about 65 miles north-northwest of Great Abaco Island. Its maximum sustained winds were 50 mph and it was drifting northeast at three miles per hour. Bret was expected to begin moving north-northeast later today and to strengthen over the next day or two.
The storm could produce two to four inches of rain over the northwest Bahamas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Study says Nissan subsidies total $1.33B; MDA says overestimated
- Renee Flynt made Craftsmen's Guild president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Defunct casino to be moved; cost could rise depending on 'crud'
- Nullification and interposition
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections