New Atlantic storm threatening the Bahamas
ATLANTIC OCEAN — Tropical storm Bret is swirling in the Atlantic Ocean off the Bahamas and forecasted to stay away from the U.S. East Coast.
Authorities in the Bahamas issued a tropical storm warning early today for Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands, meaning tropical storm conditions are expected in the next few hours.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm’s center was about 65 miles north-northwest of Great Abaco Island. Its maximum sustained winds were 50 mph and it was drifting northeast at three miles per hour. Bret was expected to begin moving north-northeast later today and to strengthen over the next day or two.
The storm could produce two to four inches of rain over the northwest Bahamas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger