New Atlantic storm threatening the Bahamas
ATLANTIC OCEAN — Tropical storm Bret is swirling in the Atlantic Ocean off the Bahamas and forecasted to stay away from the U.S. East Coast.
Authorities in the Bahamas issued a tropical storm warning early today for Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands, meaning tropical storm conditions are expected in the next few hours.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm’s center was about 65 miles north-northwest of Great Abaco Island. Its maximum sustained winds were 50 mph and it was drifting northeast at three miles per hour. Bret was expected to begin moving north-northeast later today and to strengthen over the next day or two.
The storm could produce two to four inches of rain over the northwest Bahamas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter