New Atlantic storm threatening the Bahamas
ATLANTIC OCEAN — Tropical storm Bret is swirling in the Atlantic Ocean off the Bahamas and forecasted to stay away from the U.S. East Coast.
Authorities in the Bahamas issued a tropical storm warning early today for Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands, meaning tropical storm conditions are expected in the next few hours.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm’s center was about 65 miles north-northwest of Great Abaco Island. Its maximum sustained winds were 50 mph and it was drifting northeast at three miles per hour. Bret was expected to begin moving north-northeast later today and to strengthen over the next day or two.
The storm could produce two to four inches of rain over the northwest Bahamas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- NCCI petitioning for workers' comp rate decrease
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- Student body presidents pushing for on-time graduation