Severe storm damages Sardis Lake Marina
Published: July 18,2011
SARDIS LAKE — Panola County officials say straight line winds as high as 90 miles per hour are being blamed for damage at the Sardis Lake Marina.
County Emergency Management Director Daniel Cole tells The Panolian that an intense squall hit the lake area in North Mississippi July 13.
Cole says 30 boats were sunk, overturned or otherwise damaged. No one was injured.
Cole says an onsite investigation by National Weather Service personnel concluded straight line winds were the cause.
Marina personnel say about 150 boats had been moored at slips on the docks that extend into the waters of Shady Cove when the storm struck. The most visible damage was the docks and boats strewn together near the rock weir that holds water year-round in the upper cove.
Source: The Panolian
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- Soybean yield more than doubles in less than a decade
- Two Delta groups getting economic development funding
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015