Severe storm damages Sardis Lake Marina
Published: July 18,2011
SARDIS LAKE — Panola County officials say straight line winds as high as 90 miles per hour are being blamed for damage at the Sardis Lake Marina.
County Emergency Management Director Daniel Cole tells The Panolian that an intense squall hit the lake area in North Mississippi July 13.
Cole says 30 boats were sunk, overturned or otherwise damaged. No one was injured.
Cole says an onsite investigation by National Weather Service personnel concluded straight line winds were the cause.
Marina personnel say about 150 boats had been moored at slips on the docks that extend into the waters of Shady Cove when the storm struck. The most visible damage was the docks and boats strewn together near the rock weir that holds water year-round in the upper cove.
Source: The Panolian
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement