Severe storm damages Sardis Lake Marina
by Associated Press
Published: July 18,2011
SARDIS LAKE — Panola County officials say straight line winds as high as 90 miles per hour are being blamed for damage at the Sardis Lake Marina.
County Emergency Management Director Daniel Cole tells The Panolian that an intense squall hit the lake area in North Mississippi July 13.
Cole says 30 boats were sunk, overturned or otherwise damaged. No one was injured.
Cole says an onsite investigation by National Weather Service personnel concluded straight line winds were the cause.
Marina personnel say about 150 boats had been moored at slips on the docks that extend into the waters of Shady Cove when the storm struck. The most visible damage was the docks and boats strewn together near the rock weir that holds water year-round in the upper cove.
Source: The Panolian
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- Nullification and interposition