Elfer replaces Coleman
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 24,2011
Tags: Sgt. John Elfer
Warren County supervisors have hired sheriff’s department Sgt. John Elfer as the new emergency management director. The Vicksburg Post reports Elfer replaces EMA director Gwen Coleman, who retired June 30.
Elfer has a degree in criminal justice from the University of Southern Mississippi. He has been an officer with the Hattiesburg Police Department, and has been a deputy with the sheriff’s department since 1998. He was the National Guard liaison officer with the Harrison County Emergency Management Agency during Hurricane Katrina, where he helped coordinate the Guard’s support of search and rescue teams, and for emergency shelter and food and water distribution after the storm.
Coleman retired last month after 32 years, the last five as director. She started as a planner in 1979. She became director in November 2006.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability