TVA to talk about new reactor at nuclear plant
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — The Tennessee Valley Authority board’s Aug. 18 agenda will include a staff recommendation to move ahead with building a reactor at the mothballed Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in northeast Alabama.
TVA COO Bill McCollum told The Daily Sentinel in Scottsboro, Ala., during a teleconference with reporters that the recommendation will be on the board agenda.
TVA previously delayed seeking board approval to start construction of the reactor due to the March nuclear emergency in Japan.
TVA chief executive Tom Kilgore previously said the staff was planning to move ahead at the August meeting, but the agenda still has not been released.
Kilgore has said there are already about 500 workers at Bellefonte doing engineering work and the tentative startup date for the facility is in the 2018-2019 timeframe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- BILL CRAWFORD: Keep schools free from preventable diseases
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama