TVA to talk about new reactor at nuclear plant
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — The Tennessee Valley Authority board’s Aug. 18 agenda will include a staff recommendation to move ahead with building a reactor at the mothballed Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in northeast Alabama.
TVA COO Bill McCollum told The Daily Sentinel in Scottsboro, Ala., during a teleconference with reporters that the recommendation will be on the board agenda.
TVA previously delayed seeking board approval to start construction of the reactor due to the March nuclear emergency in Japan.
TVA chief executive Tom Kilgore previously said the staff was planning to move ahead at the August meeting, but the agenda still has not been released.
Kilgore has said there are already about 500 workers at Bellefonte doing engineering work and the tentative startup date for the facility is in the 2018-2019 timeframe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'