TVA to talk about new reactor at nuclear plant
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — The Tennessee Valley Authority board’s Aug. 18 agenda will include a staff recommendation to move ahead with building a reactor at the mothballed Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in northeast Alabama.
TVA COO Bill McCollum told The Daily Sentinel in Scottsboro, Ala., during a teleconference with reporters that the recommendation will be on the board agenda.
TVA previously delayed seeking board approval to start construction of the reactor due to the March nuclear emergency in Japan.
TVA chief executive Tom Kilgore previously said the staff was planning to move ahead at the August meeting, but the agenda still has not been released.
Kilgore has said there are already about 500 workers at Bellefonte doing engineering work and the tentative startup date for the facility is in the 2018-2019 timeframe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90