TVA to talk about new reactor at nuclear plant
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — The Tennessee Valley Authority board’s Aug. 18 agenda will include a staff recommendation to move ahead with building a reactor at the mothballed Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in northeast Alabama.
TVA COO Bill McCollum told The Daily Sentinel in Scottsboro, Ala., during a teleconference with reporters that the recommendation will be on the board agenda.
TVA previously delayed seeking board approval to start construction of the reactor due to the March nuclear emergency in Japan.
TVA chief executive Tom Kilgore previously said the staff was planning to move ahead at the August meeting, but the agenda still has not been released.
Kilgore has said there are already about 500 workers at Bellefonte doing engineering work and the tentative startup date for the facility is in the 2018-2019 timeframe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics