TVA to talk about new reactor at nuclear plant
NORTH MISSISSIPPI — The Tennessee Valley Authority board’s Aug. 18 agenda will include a staff recommendation to move ahead with building a reactor at the mothballed Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in northeast Alabama.
TVA COO Bill McCollum told The Daily Sentinel in Scottsboro, Ala., during a teleconference with reporters that the recommendation will be on the board agenda.
TVA previously delayed seeking board approval to start construction of the reactor due to the March nuclear emergency in Japan.
TVA chief executive Tom Kilgore previously said the staff was planning to move ahead at the August meeting, but the agenda still has not been released.
Kilgore has said there are already about 500 workers at Bellefonte doing engineering work and the tentative startup date for the facility is in the 2018-2019 timeframe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Deal for daily Jackson-Orlando flight in works with Allegiant
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts