Wells wins award
Barbara G. Wells is the inaugural recipient of the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists’ Career Achievement Award at the University of Mississippi. The award was presented to the dean of the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy at the recent CPNP annual meeting in Phoenix.
Wells’ expertise is in the areas of psychiatric pharmacotherapy and women’s health. Much of her work also deals with leadership in the health professions, pharmacy education and in advocacy for the profession. Her research has examined drug-drug interactions of psychotropic medications and the clinical management of depression, anxiety disorders and schizophrenia.
Wells, who once directed a residency program in psychiatric pharmacy practice and a fellowship program in psychiatric pharmacotherapy, was a founding member of the CPNP in 1998. She has been dean, professor and executive director of the Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the UM pharmacy school since 2001. Since then, she received the 2006 Robert K. Chalmers Distinguished Pharmacy Educator Award from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Wells was also named a Distinguished Practitioner in the National Academies of Practice in Pharmacy in 2004 for her career contributions.
Wells has authored or co-authored more than 85 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, and is a co-editor of commonly used textbooks in pharmacy education: “Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach (six editions),” “Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice” (two editions) and the “Pharmacotherapy Handbook” (six editions).
Wells has also served as president of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, as well as AACP, and served on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee and the National Institutes of Health’s Advisory Committee on Research on Women’s Health.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study