Golden Triangle, rest of Mississippi have a big stake in nation’s military cuts
Declines in Air Force demand for new pilots could put Columbus’ air base at risk.
Last Tuesday’s deal to slash defense by hundreds of billions in spending as part of the deal to raise the nation’s debt ceiling set off the kind of anxiousness not felt in Columbus since the Base Re-Alignment & Closure Commission shut down a half-dozen years ago.
Suddenly, the Golden Triangle’s continued economic resurgence is not as sure a thing as it was just a few weeks ago. If the Air Force needs fewer aircraft it won’t need as many new pilots. And Columbus Air Force Base, a flight…
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that