Much-anticipated multi-modal facility set for opening
Published: August 11,2011
BROOKHAVEN — More than 10 years after the planning for the project began, a multi-modal transportation facility on Brookhaven’s North Railroad Avenue will officially open with a ceremony next Wednesday.
Brookhaven Mayor Less Bumgarner says the 11:30 a.m. ceremony is being timed so that a train will arrive just as the festivities end.
“If the train is on time then it will arrive about when we are done,” Bumgarner said. “I think that would be nice if it happened.”
The facility will replace an old Amtrak train stop, which has limited space and no protection from the weather.
The new facility is named the Godbold Transportation Center in honor of Bill Godbold, the Brookhaven mayor under whose administration the project began.
Godbold died last year. Members of his family will be present at next Wednesday’s ceremony.
Since 2003, the project has been mired in numerous delays, both financial and administrative.
In summer 2010, city officials thought completion was near, but a dispute between Amtrak and the Mississippi Department of Transportation broke out over the length of the boarding dock.
Ultimately, the dock was lengthened from 80 to 400 feet. That meant additional construction that pushed the project completion back until this month.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation