Cowsert announces retirement
W. Gregg Cowsert is retiring as vice chairman and chief credit officer of BancorpSouth, effective Sept. 30, 2011. Cowsert joined the company in 1990 in Hattiesburg as senior vice president and regional loan administrator for the Bank of Mississippi. The Bank of Mississippi later became BancorpSouth through a name change following the company’s expansion outside of Mississippi.
In 1992 he was promoted and transferred to the company’s corporate offices in Tupelo to assume loan administration responsibilities for the bank’s Mississippi markets. In 1996 Cowsert was promoted to executive vice president and later in the year to vice chairman and chief credit officer.
Following his graduation from Mississippi State University in 1970, where he received a B.S. degree in banking and finance, Cowsert began his banking career in Hattiesburg with First Mississippi National Bank as a management trainee.
Cowsert had been involved over the years in various industry and civic organizations and initiatives including the Robert Morris Associates, American Institute of Banking, Chambers of Commerce, Boy Scouts of America and the YMCA. He attended various schools and banking seminars, including the LSU School of Banking.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability