Cowsert announces retirement
W. Gregg Cowsert is retiring as vice chairman and chief credit officer of BancorpSouth, effective Sept. 30, 2011. Cowsert joined the company in 1990 in Hattiesburg as senior vice president and regional loan administrator for the Bank of Mississippi. The Bank of Mississippi later became BancorpSouth through a name change following the company’s expansion outside of Mississippi.
In 1992 he was promoted and transferred to the company’s corporate offices in Tupelo to assume loan administration responsibilities for the bank’s Mississippi markets. In 1996 Cowsert was promoted to executive vice president and later in the year to vice chairman and chief credit officer.
Following his graduation from Mississippi State University in 1970, where he received a B.S. degree in banking and finance, Cowsert began his banking career in Hattiesburg with First Mississippi National Bank as a management trainee.
Cowsert had been involved over the years in various industry and civic organizations and initiatives including the Robert Morris Associates, American Institute of Banking, Chambers of Commerce, Boy Scouts of America and the YMCA. He attended various schools and banking seminars, including the LSU School of Banking.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Nullification and interposition
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable
- Ag officials say late planting reaching historical proportions