Pittman receives honor
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 14,2011
U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL) director Dr. David Pittman was recently presented with the 2010 Meritorious Presidential Rank Award. Theaward, which represents recognition from President Barack Obama, is the second-highest honor bestowed upon career Senior Executive Service (SES) members.
Pittman’s ERDC career began in 1983, when he joined the Pavement Systems Division of what was then known as the Geotechnical Laboratory, as a research civil engineer. After leaving for three years to serve as an assistant professor in the Civil Engineering Department of Auburn University, he returned to ERDC in 1997 as chief of the Airfields and Pavements Division. He has served as GSL director since 2004.
Pittman, a registered professional engineer in the state of Mississippi, has both a bachelor’s and a master’s from Mississippi State University, and a doctorate from the University of Texas at Austin, all in civil engineering.
Previous awards for Pittman include the Bronze Order of the de Fleury Medal and the ERDC Award for Outstanding Achievement in Equal Opportunity Employment. He was also recently named the Federal Laboratory Director of the Year by the Federal Laboratory Consortium.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- MSU sets new annual fundraising record of $106M-plus