Walker honored for work
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 14,2011
Dr. William Walker, executive director of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, will receive a First Place Gulf Guardian Award for 2011 in the Individual category from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Gulf of Mexico Program Office. Walker has spent nearly 40 years researching and protecting the resources of the Gulf of Mexico. Growing up in Louisiana and working in Mississippi, Florida and Washington, D.C., he exemplifies environmental leadership and stewardship for Mississippi and the entire Gulf of Mexico. He actively seeks out collaboration from local, state and federal governments, as well as from industry, academia, NGOs and citizens.
Respected throughout the Gulf and across the nation, Walker has brought this collaborative approach to the Gulf of Mexico Alliance, forming the basis of a regional approach to restoring and sustaining Gulf of Mexico resources and coastal communities. Walker has also worked with farmers in the Mississippi Delta and Iowa on nutrient reduction strategies and has helped secure resources for the implementation of best management practices identified in those strategies, thereby reducing nutrient runoff into the Gulf.
Walker has built partnerships with the six Mexican Gulf States and, in 2009, he secured monitoring vessels to support the HABs programs in Campeche and Veracruz, Mexico.
The high regard for Dr. Walker by his peers is reflected in President Obama’s appointing him to the National Ocean Council’s Governance Coordinating Committee representing the Gulf of Mexico region.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders