Where are job creators we keep hearing about?
The moon is made of green cheese. The moon is made of green cheese. The moon is made of green cheese.
I’m testing a theory that saying something enough times makes it so. It seems to be the way marketing (and politics) works.
I’m so tired of hearing about “job creators.” Supposedly, these are the rich people who have the ability to hire more of the lowly subjects, if only we don’t make them pay more tax. Judging by the unemployment rate, I’m guessing these “job creators” are in short supply.
The theory is that wealthy people start businesses, hire more staff, and generally spread their money around. If we make them pay 4 cents more on every dollar over $250,000, they will take their pennies and go home. No more jobs for you!
Now, I understand that taxing someone to the point that they think twice about working and creating can be a problem, but what exactly is that point? Is it 2 cents more or 4 cents more or maybe 40 cents more of every dollar? I don’t think we’ve figured out the marginal point of no return.
But, you see, I think all this is beside the point, because I don’t think the term “job creators” is limited to rich people. In fact, I call job creators CUSTOMERS. Ask any business owner which they would rather have — 4 cents more on every dollar over $250,000 or more customers — I’ll guarantee you they’ll say more customers.
When our customers have money in their pockets and a song in their hearts, business grows. When business grows, jobs are created. Now don’t ask me how to develop policies to accomplish this. I’m still busy convincing you the moon is made of green cheese.
Nancy Lottridge Anderson, Ph.D., CFA, is president of New Perspectives Inc. in Ridgeland — (601) 991-3158. She is also an assistant professor of finance at Mississippi College. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, and her website is www.newper.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'