Major U.S. 61 improvement project underway
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 15,2011
BOLIVAR COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) reports that reconstruction of the five-laning/median removal project on U.S. 61 in Bolivar County is underway.
The project just north of the U.S. 61/Highway 446 intersection to Davis Street began today. This $5.4-million project is being performed by APAC, and is approximately 2.3 miles in length with a completion date of May 1, 2012.
The first phase of repair work to the outer lanes in this section will take place from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. so that local businesses will not be affected during business hours. All other asphalt production work may be performed during the daylight hours.
“We are looking forward to this new five-lane section making Highway 61 more efficient for traffic and businesses in the area,” Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force