Major U.S. 61 improvement project underway
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 15,2011
BOLIVAR COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) reports that reconstruction of the five-laning/median removal project on U.S. 61 in Bolivar County is underway.
The project just north of the U.S. 61/Highway 446 intersection to Davis Street began today. This $5.4-million project is being performed by APAC, and is approximately 2.3 miles in length with a completion date of May 1, 2012.
The first phase of repair work to the outer lanes in this section will take place from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. so that local businesses will not be affected during business hours. All other asphalt production work may be performed during the daylight hours.
“We are looking forward to this new five-lane section making Highway 61 more efficient for traffic and businesses in the area,” Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility