Barbour chooses Jones
Gov. Haley Barbour has appointed Virden Jones of Madison as executive director of the Public Utilities Staff. Jones begins the new position immediately and must be confirmed by the Senate.
Jones has worked as director of the Electric, Gas and Communications Division at the Public Utilities Staff since 1999. He joined the agency a year earlier as financial modeling manager. As director, he oversaw rate reviews and fuel audits across utility sectors.
He is a certified public accountant. Previously, he worked in the private sector as CFO at Pay Telephone American Inc., and as a registered representative at Morgan Keegan & Co.
He is a member of the Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants, a board member and past president of the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency and a former board member of the Metropolitan YMCA.
Jones earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Vanderbilt University and master’s degree in business administration from Emory University.
He and his wife, Dr. Libby Spence, have three daughters.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete