Steamboat to dock at Vicksburg
Published: August 21,2011
In 2008 when the historic steamboat Delta Queen discontinued Mississippi River tours, communities up and down the river not only lost a piece of cultural history, they also lost an important tourism asset.
Thus, the state’s Mississippi River communities, still reeling from the recent flood, are all smiles with the announcement this month that the American Queen, a more modern, larger steamboat, is planning to dock in Vicksburg and begin tours next spring.
“It is huge — there has been much discussion about the return of the Queen to the river,”said Bill Seratt, executive director of the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau. “We had thousands of people arriving on (the Delta Queen), touring our museums, historical homes, restaurants. So, we’re excited.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- CSpire offering 1Phone 6, IPhone 6 Plus on Sept. 19
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Sept. 19 at Mississippi's Trade Mart
- Owner of former hospital given deadline
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- State's corn crop could set new yield record