Steamboat to dock at Vicksburg
by Wally Northway
Published: August 21,2011
In 2008 when the historic steamboat Delta Queen discontinued Mississippi River tours, communities up and down the river not only lost a piece of cultural history, they also lost an important tourism asset.
Thus, the state’s Mississippi River communities, still reeling from the recent flood, are all smiles with the announcement this month that the American Queen, a more modern, larger steamboat, is planning to dock in Vicksburg and begin tours next spring.
“It is huge — there has been much discussion about the return of the Queen to the river,”said Bill Seratt, executive director of the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau. “We had thousands of people arriving on (the Delta Queen), touring our museums, historical homes, restaurants. So, we’re excited.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones