Steamboat to dock at Vicksburg
by Wally Northway
Published: August 21,2011
In 2008 when the historic steamboat Delta Queen discontinued Mississippi River tours, communities up and down the river not only lost a piece of cultural history, they also lost an important tourism asset.
Thus, the state’s Mississippi River communities, still reeling from the recent flood, are all smiles with the announcement this month that the American Queen, a more modern, larger steamboat, is planning to dock in Vicksburg and begin tours next spring.
“It is huge — there has been much discussion about the return of the Queen to the river,”said Bill Seratt, executive director of the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau. “We had thousands of people arriving on (the Delta Queen), touring our museums, historical homes, restaurants. So, we’re excited.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district