University Club to close after 36 years
by Associated Press
Published: August 24,2011
JACKSON — The University Club in downtown Jackson will close Dec. 31, its owners said in a statement yesterday.
The members-only club is located on the top floor of the Regions Bank building, formerly the Deposit Guaranty Bank building. It also has been the location for the monthly Stennis Center-Capitol Press luncheons where reporters heard from various political and business leaders.
Joel Jaffe, regional vice president of operations for ClubCorp, says the club will close Dec. 31 after 36 years,
Jaffe says efforts to increase membership and club usage to keep pace with the rising costs of operations had not been successful.
The decision comes weeks after longtime general manager John Hardy retired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Aldermen review adult business ordinance, call public hearing
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn