University Club to close after 36 years
JACKSON — The University Club in downtown Jackson will close Dec. 31, its owners said in a statement yesterday.
The members-only club is located on the top floor of the Regions Bank building, formerly the Deposit Guaranty Bank building. It also has been the location for the monthly Stennis Center-Capitol Press luncheons where reporters heard from various political and business leaders.
Joel Jaffe, regional vice president of operations for ClubCorp, says the club will close Dec. 31 after 36 years,
Jaffe says efforts to increase membership and club usage to keep pace with the rising costs of operations had not been successful.
The decision comes weeks after longtime general manager John Hardy retired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs