University Club to close after 36 years
JACKSON — The University Club in downtown Jackson will close Dec. 31, its owners said in a statement yesterday.
The members-only club is located on the top floor of the Regions Bank building, formerly the Deposit Guaranty Bank building. It also has been the location for the monthly Stennis Center-Capitol Press luncheons where reporters heard from various political and business leaders.
Joel Jaffe, regional vice president of operations for ClubCorp, says the club will close Dec. 31 after 36 years,
Jaffe says efforts to increase membership and club usage to keep pace with the rising costs of operations had not been successful.
The decision comes weeks after longtime general manager John Hardy retired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey