University Club to close after 36 years
JACKSON — The University Club in downtown Jackson will close Dec. 31, its owners said in a statement yesterday.
The members-only club is located on the top floor of the Regions Bank building, formerly the Deposit Guaranty Bank building. It also has been the location for the monthly Stennis Center-Capitol Press luncheons where reporters heard from various political and business leaders.
Joel Jaffe, regional vice president of operations for ClubCorp, says the club will close Dec. 31 after 36 years,
Jaffe says efforts to increase membership and club usage to keep pace with the rising costs of operations had not been successful.
The decision comes weeks after longtime general manager John Hardy retired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma