University Club to close after 36 years
JACKSON — The University Club in downtown Jackson will close Dec. 31, its owners said in a statement yesterday.
The members-only club is located on the top floor of the Regions Bank building, formerly the Deposit Guaranty Bank building. It also has been the location for the monthly Stennis Center-Capitol Press luncheons where reporters heard from various political and business leaders.
Joel Jaffe, regional vice president of operations for ClubCorp, says the club will close Dec. 31 after 36 years,
Jaffe says efforts to increase membership and club usage to keep pace with the rising costs of operations had not been successful.
The decision comes weeks after longtime general manager John Hardy retired.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues