Hosemann touts changes to sports agent law
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 29,2011
JACKSON — New revisions to the Uniform Athlete Agents Act, or laws which govern sports agents operating in Mississippi, provide greater protection to our student athletes, according to Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.
“Recent events in the media regarding relationships with student athletes and sports agents have prompted the need for more attention to the laws which govern contact and compensation with student athletes in Mississippi,” said Hosemann.
The new law: broadens the definition of compensation to a student athlete to include “anything of value;” requires sports agents register with the secretary of state before signing a contract with a student athlete; requires a sports agent agree to a criminal background check before applying for registration as a sports agent in Mississippi; requires sports agents to notify the university or junior college before soliciting a student athlete; requires a sports agent to disclose to the state any litigation he/she may be involved in, as well as list other states they are currently licensed to conduct business; subjects athlete agents who solicit student athletes for college scholarships in exchange for compensation to both civil and criminal penalties; and, clarifies the responsibilities and authority of the secretary of state in the investigation and enforcement of the Uniform Athlete Agents Act.
“These revisions have been a joint effort between Mississippi universities, current sports agents registered in the state, national regulatory agencies, state legislators and our agency,” said Hosemann. “We have tremendous athletic talent in our state. Our goal is to protect not only the eligibility, but also the future of our student athletes.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Hosemann touts changes to sports agent law”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force