Jackson State earns superior rating from Defense
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 29,2011
JACKSON — For the second year in a row, the U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Security Service, has issued Jackson State University the highest possible security rating for the university’s compliance with the nation’s security standards.
The Defense Security Service rates security postures within one of five categories — superior, commendable, satisfactory, marginal or unsatisfactory. According to JSU, a superior rating is seldom achieved in the academic community and is only awarded to the top 10 percent institutions in the country.
“A sustained security compliance posture is indicative of hard work of a dedicated, security-conscious team at Jackson State University,” said JSU’s security officer and export officer Ora Rawls. “Support in these efforts includes the Office of Research and Federal Relations, the College of Science, Engineering and Technology, the Department Human Resources, the Division of International Programs, the Office of General Counsel, and the participating faculty, staff and students of the entire university.”
The superior rating positions JSU to competitively seek additional funding during a time when many institutions are struggling to obtain and maintain support, Rawls said.
“It means we can do business with the government at a certain level,” she said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Texas company buys Tuscaloosa Marine Shale leases