Graham made chairman
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 4,2011
Dr. William “Monty” Graham has been named chairman of the University of Southern Mississippi Department of Marine Science (DMS). Graham, a native of Danville, Ky., earned his Ph.D. in biology from the University of California Santa Barbara, a master of science in marine sciences from the University of California Santa Cruz and a bachelor of science degree in marine biology from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
Before coming to Southern Miss, Graham was a senior marine scientist at Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL) for 16 years. Prior to his stint at DISL, he was a post-doctoral research associate at UCSB.
Graham has participated in research projects around the world including Croatia, Palau, Argentina, Chile, and Korea. His research interests include biological oceanography and zooplankton ecology specializing in ecology and biology of gelatinous plankton, such as jellyfish, and their role in heavily fished ecosystems.
Graham has been involved in numerous research projects; managed in excess of $10 million in grants and contracts; published more than 60 papers and technical reports; and was awarded the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, its most prestigious award in support of junior faculty.
Since 2004, Graham has served as principal investigator and manager of the Fisheries Oceanography of Coastal Alabama.
Following the Deepwater Horizon rig blowout in April 2010, Graham was one of the earliest recipients of a National Science Foundation Rapid Response grant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- State granted delay in implementing teacher evaluations
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term