County shelves rapid transit system proposal
by Associated Press
Published: September 9,2011
HERNANDO — DeSoto County has shelved for the moment a proposal to offer a rapid transit system to Memphis, Tenn., along the proposed Interstate 69.
Board of Supervisors president Allen Latimer tells The Commercial Appeal that the action was taken after the county’s cash-strapped cities bowed out.
Latimer says the county cannot under take the project alone.
Planners had put capital costs at about $3.5 million with an 80/20 percent federal-local funding formula.
Annual operating costs would have been split between Memphis and DeSoto County and its participating cities.
Ridership forecasts had been projected nearly 1,200 daily boardings and more than 343,000 annual boardings by 2018.
Latimer says local cities had expressed interest but had no money to dedicate to the project.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit