MDA launches pilot aimed at improving strip malls
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 9,2011
JACKSON — The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) has rolled out its pilot Retail Center Revitalization Program. The pilot program is designed to test the effectiveness of partnering local units of government with retail center owners to make improvements to certain shopping centers, commonly referred to as “strip malls,” in a way that contributes to ongoing coordinated revitalization efforts in local communities.
“We have made real progress in helping our communities revitalize their downtown areas, but in many cases, you still have to drive past rundown strip centers to get there,” said MDA executive director Leland Speed. “To better attract visitors and economic development projects, we need to look at improving the routes into our communities, as well.”
Limited grant funds are associated with the pilot Retail Center Revitalization Program, which is designed to support retail center revitalization projects in conjunction with private funding sources. Only Mississippi’s planning and development districts (PDDs) may apply for the grant funds. Awards are limited to a maximum of $50,000.
In order to participate, PDDs must partner with a local unit of government and the owner of the strip center to fund a retail center revitalization project. This local team must contribute a minimum of 50 percent of the total cost of the project. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, improving a building’s façade, developing green spaces and improving parking areas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino