Williams named president
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 11,2011
Dr. Alvin Williams has dedicated more than 30 years to the University of Southern Mississippi, and he was recently named president of its Alumni Association Executive Committee.
Joining Williams on the executive committee are president-elect Dale Shearer of Ridgeland, vice president Benny Waddle of Hattiesburg, past president Randy Pope of Hattiesburg and Finance Committee chairman Donnie Tynes of Madison.
Williams earned a bachelor’s degree from Southern Miss in 1974, master’s degree from the University of Alabama and his Ph.D. from the University of Arkansas. He was interim dean of the College of Business and professor of marketing at Southern Miss, where he worked from 1980 to 2008. Williams also served as a department chair from 1988 to 2005. He is past president of the Society for Marketing Advances and past editor of the Journal of Supply Chain Management.
Williams has conducted more than 350 presentations and seminars for supply management and marketing professionals in the U.S., Europe, South Africa and China. He has published in various academic and professional journals in marketing and supply management.
He is currently a distinguished professor of marketing at the University of South Alabama’s Mitchell College of Business. In addition to academia, Williams emphasizes university service and co-chaired the Southern Miss Centennial Celebration Steering Committee.
Williams’ civic and community activities have included, at various times, Boy Scouts of America, which honored him with the Silver Beaver Award; Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club board; United Way of Southeast Mississippi; Area Development Partnership board; and, the USM Foundation board.
He is married to Lourinda Williams (’75, ’77), and the life members of the Alumni Association have two daughters, Adria and Aprille.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets