Williams named president
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 11,2011
Dr. Alvin Williams has dedicated more than 30 years to the University of Southern Mississippi, and he was recently named president of its Alumni Association Executive Committee.
Joining Williams on the executive committee are president-elect Dale Shearer of Ridgeland, vice president Benny Waddle of Hattiesburg, past president Randy Pope of Hattiesburg and Finance Committee chairman Donnie Tynes of Madison.
Williams earned a bachelor’s degree from Southern Miss in 1974, master’s degree from the University of Alabama and his Ph.D. from the University of Arkansas. He was interim dean of the College of Business and professor of marketing at Southern Miss, where he worked from 1980 to 2008. Williams also served as a department chair from 1988 to 2005. He is past president of the Society for Marketing Advances and past editor of the Journal of Supply Chain Management.
Williams has conducted more than 350 presentations and seminars for supply management and marketing professionals in the U.S., Europe, South Africa and China. He has published in various academic and professional journals in marketing and supply management.
He is currently a distinguished professor of marketing at the University of South Alabama’s Mitchell College of Business. In addition to academia, Williams emphasizes university service and co-chaired the Southern Miss Centennial Celebration Steering Committee.
Williams’ civic and community activities have included, at various times, Boy Scouts of America, which honored him with the Silver Beaver Award; Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club board; United Way of Southeast Mississippi; Area Development Partnership board; and, the USM Foundation board.
He is married to Lourinda Williams (’75, ’77), and the life members of the Alumni Association have two daughters, Adria and Aprille.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker