Sportsplex backers await vote on hotel tax
Published: September 20,2011
GREENVILLE — Supporters say the Delta Sportsplex will have a place everyone can play sports and help economic development.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Britt Virden, vice president of the Sportsplex Foundation, says the plan is for 15 baseball fields, 26 soccer fields and three concession stands. It will cost about $20 million.
Virden says the sportsplex also can be used to host tournaments that would bring money into local businesses.
Washington County voters will asked Nov. 2 to approve a 2 percent tax on hotels and motels to support construction of the multipurpose sports complex, which would be located on 95 acres next to the convention center.
Virden says the sportsplex can be built in phases.
The hotel tax, if approved, would go into effect in July.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center