Sportsplex backers await vote on hotel tax
Published: September 20,2011
GREENVILLE — Supporters say the Delta Sportsplex will have a place everyone can play sports and help economic development.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Britt Virden, vice president of the Sportsplex Foundation, says the plan is for 15 baseball fields, 26 soccer fields and three concession stands. It will cost about $20 million.
Virden says the sportsplex also can be used to host tournaments that would bring money into local businesses.
Washington County voters will asked Nov. 2 to approve a 2 percent tax on hotels and motels to support construction of the multipurpose sports complex, which would be located on 95 acres next to the convention center.
Virden says the sportsplex can be built in phases.
The hotel tax, if approved, would go into effect in July.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Digital Editions - magazines
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game