Sportsplex backers await vote on hotel tax
Published: September 20,2011
GREENVILLE — Supporters say the Delta Sportsplex will have a place everyone can play sports and help economic development.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Britt Virden, vice president of the Sportsplex Foundation, says the plan is for 15 baseball fields, 26 soccer fields and three concession stands. It will cost about $20 million.
Virden says the sportsplex also can be used to host tournaments that would bring money into local businesses.
Washington County voters will asked Nov. 2 to approve a 2 percent tax on hotels and motels to support construction of the multipurpose sports complex, which would be located on 95 acres next to the convention center.
Virden says the sportsplex can be built in phases.
The hotel tax, if approved, would go into effect in July.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency