Sportsplex backers await vote on hotel tax
Published: September 20,2011
GREENVILLE — Supporters say the Delta Sportsplex will have a place everyone can play sports and help economic development.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Britt Virden, vice president of the Sportsplex Foundation, says the plan is for 15 baseball fields, 26 soccer fields and three concession stands. It will cost about $20 million.
Virden says the sportsplex also can be used to host tournaments that would bring money into local businesses.
Washington County voters will asked Nov. 2 to approve a 2 percent tax on hotels and motels to support construction of the multipurpose sports complex, which would be located on 95 acres next to the convention center.
Virden says the sportsplex can be built in phases.
The hotel tax, if approved, would go into effect in July.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics