Sportsplex backers await vote on hotel tax
by Associated Press
Published: September 20,2011
GREENVILLE — Supporters say the Delta Sportsplex will have a place everyone can play sports and help economic development.
The Delta Democrat Times reports Britt Virden, vice president of the Sportsplex Foundation, says the plan is for 15 baseball fields, 26 soccer fields and three concession stands. It will cost about $20 million.
Virden says the sportsplex also can be used to host tournaments that would bring money into local businesses.
Washington County voters will asked Nov. 2 to approve a 2 percent tax on hotels and motels to support construction of the multipurpose sports complex, which would be located on 95 acres next to the convention center.
Virden says the sportsplex can be built in phases.
The hotel tax, if approved, would go into effect in July.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Hood clarifies opinion on open-carry gun law
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015