SmartSynch lands new client in Consumers Energy
JACKSON — Consumers Energy has selected Jackson-based SmartSynch to provide the advanced metering system that will form the foundation of a grid and meter modernization program for its 1.8 million electric customers in Michigan.
Terms were not disclosed.
Consumers Energy’s selection of SmartSynch to provide SmartMeters concluded a comprehensive process by the utility to find the best advanced metering solution for its customers.
Consumers Energy, which serves more than two-thirds of Michigan across a 32,000-square-mile service territory, is now the largest U.S. utility to choose a cellular-based communication system for the smart meter deployment phase of its grid modernization program.
Meter installation is scheduled to begin in Muskegon County in August 2012 with installation phases continuing through 2019 across the utility’s service territory. In addition to the 1.8 million electric meters, the company continues to evaluate the installation of communications modules on approximately 600,000 gas meters in areas where the utility serves customers with both electricity and natural gas.
John Russell, the president and CEO of Consumers Energy, said, “This SmartSynch technology provides the flexibility, security and options that we need to continue to provide excellent service to our customers and meet their needs in the future.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Stabenow, Cochran brace for full Senate vote on Farm Bill
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Keeping Our Eye On Nathan McNeill
- Forward-thinking power companies transform “disruptions” into opportunities
- OUR VIEW: USM makes right call by calling off tornado relief campaign
- WILLOUGHBY: Rubinsky grows First Class Linen from ground up