Merchants Foodservice makes national ranking again
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 29,2011
HATTIESBURG — The nation’s 50 largest broadline distributors collectively broke the $100-billion mark in 2010, growing sales 5 percent over sales reported by the 2009 Top 50.
It was a strong performance following the 2 percent sales decline the Top 50 experienced in 2009. The performance of the top 10 companies alone paints a bright turnaround picture: In 2009, the top 10 together saw their sales decline by 5 percent, with six of the 10 companies reporting losses for the year. In 2010, the top 10 collectively achieved a 5 percent gain and only one among them, U.S. Foodservice, reported a slight sales decline.
None of the top 10 distributors were among the biggest gainers for the year. Rather, with two notable exceptions of Cheney Brothers Inc., (#11) and Hattiesburg-based Merchants Foodservice (#15), companies in the middle and lower portions of the rankings made the biggest strides in 2010.
Merchants Foodservice was the only company that made the list two years in a row. Merchants was number one in the “10 Biggest % Sales Increases in 2009 and fifth in “10 Biggest $ Sales Increases” in 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015