Peavey appointed commissioner
Gov. Haley Barbour has appointed arts and education advocate and music-industry executive Mary Peavey to the Mississippi Arts Commission’s board of commissioners. Peavey, president of Peavey Electronics Corporation in Meridian, is a sixth-generation Mississippian who has dedicated her life to bridging creativity and commerce through arts and education.
An active and dedicated supporter of after-school programs, Peavey helped make Mississippi the first state to offer the “Afterschool is Key” car tag. She is a board member of the national Afterschool Alliance, has served as an advocate for the National Arts Council and continues to bring the arts to children through strategic partnerships, events and music education programs.
Peavey also plays an essential role in producing the annual “Mississippi GRAMMY Legacy Celebration,” which celebrates the fact that Mississippi has produced more GRAMMY Award winners and nominees per capita than any other state. The event features the Peavey Awards and was named “One of the Coolest Events on the Planet” by Vanity Fair in 2008.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41