Peavey appointed commissioner
Gov. Haley Barbour has appointed arts and education advocate and music-industry executive Mary Peavey to the Mississippi Arts Commission’s board of commissioners. Peavey, president of Peavey Electronics Corporation in Meridian, is a sixth-generation Mississippian who has dedicated her life to bridging creativity and commerce through arts and education.
An active and dedicated supporter of after-school programs, Peavey helped make Mississippi the first state to offer the “Afterschool is Key” car tag. She is a board member of the national Afterschool Alliance, has served as an advocate for the National Arts Council and continues to bring the arts to children through strategic partnerships, events and music education programs.
Peavey also plays an essential role in producing the annual “Mississippi GRAMMY Legacy Celebration,” which celebrates the fact that Mississippi has produced more GRAMMY Award winners and nominees per capita than any other state. The event features the Peavey Awards and was named “One of the Coolest Events on the Planet” by Vanity Fair in 2008.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty to illegal wildlife trapping