Navy shutting down Seabee battalion on Coast
GULFPORT — The Navy says a Seabee battalion in Gulfport will be shut down in September 2012 in a cost-cutting move.
The battalion, commonly known as “The Magnificent 7,” is made up of about 600 Seabees — a number that makes up just over 10 percent of the Gulfport Seabee force.
Battalion officials say some Seabees will be reassigned to other posts at the Gulfport base but many will leave the area.
Officials say the battalion will be deployed to the Pacific once more before it is decommissioned.
It will be the third decommissioning for Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 since it was organized in 1942. The battalion has been at the Gulfport Seabee Base since it was re-commissioned a third time in 1985, and has seen deployments around the world.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district