Navy shutting down Seabee battalion on Coast
GULFPORT — The Navy says a Seabee battalion in Gulfport will be shut down in September 2012 in a cost-cutting move.
The battalion, commonly known as “The Magnificent 7,” is made up of about 600 Seabees — a number that makes up just over 10 percent of the Gulfport Seabee force.
Battalion officials say some Seabees will be reassigned to other posts at the Gulfport base but many will leave the area.
Officials say the battalion will be deployed to the Pacific once more before it is decommissioned.
It will be the third decommissioning for Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 since it was organized in 1942. The battalion has been at the Gulfport Seabee Base since it was re-commissioned a third time in 1985, and has seen deployments around the world.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block