Health Department reports another West Nile virus death
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 4,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi State Department of Health reports one West Nile virus (WNV) death in a Leflore County resident and seven new human cases in Jones (2), Leflore, Madison, Rankin, Sunflower and Winston counties, bringing the state’s total to 46 cases for 2011 with four deaths.
So far this year, cases have been confirmed in Forrest (4), Hinds (6), Jones (6), Madison (7), Pearl River (6), Rankin (6), Washington (2) and one case each in Coahoma, Jasper, Leflore, Lincoln, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Wayne, and Winston counties. Four deaths have been confirmed, in Jasper, Jones, Leflore, and Pearl River counties.
In 2010, Mississippi had eight WNV cases and no deaths.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Nullification and interposition