Wade honored in D.C.
WLBT-TV anchor Maggie Wade of Jackson was recently honored in Washington, D.C., for her dedication to finding adoptive families for Mississippi children in the foster care system. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) recommended Wade to be the 2011 Angel in Adoption from Mississippi as part of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute’s “Angels in Adoption” program.
A native of Crystal Springs, Wade is the news co-anchor for WLBT and covers stories on education and children’s issues. Wade has utilized her position as a news anchor to help find nurturing families for foster children in need of permanent homes through a program called “Wednesday’s Child.” This program is shown every Wednesday during the 6 p.m. local news and highlights children in the foster care system awaiting adoption. As a result of this segment, 98 percent of the children featured have been adopted, totaling over 7,000 children.
Wade’s civic works have been recognized by numerous organizations, including being honored as the 2009 Volunteer of the Year by Tougaloo College. An inductee into the Mississippi Association of Public Broadcasters Hall of Fame, Wade was also selected as the Citizen of the Year in 2009 for her work with “Wednesday’s Child” by the National Association of Social Workers, Mississippi Chapter.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex