Wade honored in D.C.
WLBT-TV anchor Maggie Wade of Jackson was recently honored in Washington, D.C., for her dedication to finding adoptive families for Mississippi children in the foster care system. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) recommended Wade to be the 2011 Angel in Adoption from Mississippi as part of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute’s “Angels in Adoption” program.
A native of Crystal Springs, Wade is the news co-anchor for WLBT and covers stories on education and children’s issues. Wade has utilized her position as a news anchor to help find nurturing families for foster children in need of permanent homes through a program called “Wednesday’s Child.” This program is shown every Wednesday during the 6 p.m. local news and highlights children in the foster care system awaiting adoption. As a result of this segment, 98 percent of the children featured have been adopted, totaling over 7,000 children.
Wade’s civic works have been recognized by numerous organizations, including being honored as the 2009 Volunteer of the Year by Tougaloo College. An inductee into the Mississippi Association of Public Broadcasters Hall of Fame, Wade was also selected as the Citizen of the Year in 2009 for her work with “Wednesday’s Child” by the National Association of Social Workers, Mississippi Chapter.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form