Delta cutting one Coast flight, adding another
Published: October 11,2011
GULFPORT — Delta Air Lines is scheduled to cut direct flights from Gulfport to Memphis in January.
But, U.S. Airways is adding a flight from Gulfport to Charlotte, N.C.
Jeremiah Gerald, director of air service for the Gulfport airport, tells The Sun Herald Delta announced months ago it would be making cuts all over the country, and loss of the Memphis flights is not too surprising. He said Delta likely could save money routing passengers through Atlanta instead.
Gerald said the service from Gulfport is scheduled to end Jan. 4.
He said while the loss of direct service to Memphis will be inconvenient for some travelers, U.S. Airways adding the Charlotte flight makes for a net wash in airport capacity.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast