Delta cutting one Coast flight, adding another
Published: October 11,2011
GULFPORT — Delta Air Lines is scheduled to cut direct flights from Gulfport to Memphis in January.
But, U.S. Airways is adding a flight from Gulfport to Charlotte, N.C.
Jeremiah Gerald, director of air service for the Gulfport airport, tells The Sun Herald Delta announced months ago it would be making cuts all over the country, and loss of the Memphis flights is not too surprising. He said Delta likely could save money routing passengers through Atlanta instead.
Gerald said the service from Gulfport is scheduled to end Jan. 4.
He said while the loss of direct service to Memphis will be inconvenient for some travelers, U.S. Airways adding the Charlotte flight makes for a net wash in airport capacity.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force