Another person pleads not guilty to hospital kickback scheme
Published: October 13,2011
ABERDEEN — A third person has pleaded not guilty to charges related to an alleged kickback scheme at Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Panola County.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports Robert S. Corkern entered the plea Tuesday in federal court in Aberdeen. He was released on $40,000 bond.
Corkern is charged with conspiracy to defraud the U.S., three counts of loan and credit application fraud, and one count of bribery involving federal programs.
Corkern will face trial Dec. 12 with co-defendants Raymond L. Shoemaker, a Tupelo healthcare executive, and Earnest Levi “Lee” Garner Jr., a Batesville businessman. They each pleaded not guilty several months ago and are free on bond.
Federal prosecutors have alleged David Chandler, the former county administrator, acted as a middleman for the kickbacks. Chandler has not been indicted.
The government alleges Garner paid Chandler $268,000 for nursing service hours billed to the hospital by Garner’s business. In return, prosecutors say Chandler was to use his influence to increase Tri-Lakes’ use of Garner’s business.
Prosecutors said Chandler also paid Shoemaker $12,000, which was toward a demand for an alleged $25,000 bribe.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet