Lines at new Kroger and lines at Disney have lot in common
Published: October 16,2011
My big outing this past week was to the new Kroger in Madison. I’m told it’s the biggest one in Mississippi. It’s over the top big, and it’s fancy. Lots of fancy fake stonework out front. Big pots of mums on the sidewalk. A site to behold.
I don’t live in Madison, but this seemed to be the place to be that Saturday. We were greeted at the door by dignitaries handing out maps of the store layout. I had planned to do some grocery shopping while I was there, but it was too crowded. The produce section was a mob scene, and there was a line at the sushi counter. Forget trying to order anything at the butcher counter. They were three deep.
After getting through all the specialty counters and the bakery, we headed into the main part of the store. It looked like every other grocery store I’d ever been in, just bigger. Not much way to make toilet paper and laundry detergent look glamorous. After spending 15 minutes wandering around, we headed back to the car.
The parking lot looked like the bumper car ride at the fair. I had a few near misses just backing out of my space, and I was lucky to get out of there with my tail lights intact!
Yes, that Madison Kroger is a site to behold, but it reminded me of something. I just couldn’t put my finger on it. As I headed back down Highway 51 past the CVS Pharmacy with the Corinthian columns, it hit me. This was just like DisneyWorld. I guess that’s fine, if you like that sort of thing. Just made me miss Jitney 14.
Nancy Lottridge Anderson, Ph.D., CFA, is president of New Perspectives Inc. in Ridgeland — (601) 991-3158. She is also an assistant professor of finance at Mississippi College. Her e-mail address is email@example.com, and her website is www.newper.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Lines at new Kroger and lines at Disney have lot in common”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey