Lines at new Kroger and lines at Disney have lot in common
Published: October 16,2011
My big outing this past week was to the new Kroger in Madison. I’m told it’s the biggest one in Mississippi. It’s over the top big, and it’s fancy. Lots of fancy fake stonework out front. Big pots of mums on the sidewalk. A site to behold.
I don’t live in Madison, but this seemed to be the place to be that Saturday. We were greeted at the door by dignitaries handing out maps of the store layout. I had planned to do some grocery shopping while I was there, but it was too crowded. The produce section was a mob scene, and there was a line at the sushi counter. Forget trying to order anything at the butcher counter. They were three deep.
After getting through all the specialty counters and the bakery, we headed into the main part of the store. It looked like every other grocery store I’d ever been in, just bigger. Not much way to make toilet paper and laundry detergent look glamorous. After spending 15 minutes wandering around, we headed back to the car.
The parking lot looked like the bumper car ride at the fair. I had a few near misses just backing out of my space, and I was lucky to get out of there with my tail lights intact!
Yes, that Madison Kroger is a site to behold, but it reminded me of something. I just couldn’t put my finger on it. As I headed back down Highway 51 past the CVS Pharmacy with the Corinthian columns, it hit me. This was just like DisneyWorld. I guess that’s fine, if you like that sort of thing. Just made me miss Jitney 14.
Nancy Lottridge Anderson, Ph.D., CFA, is president of New Perspectives Inc. in Ridgeland — (601) 991-3158. She is also an assistant professor of finance at Mississippi College. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, and her website is www.newper.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Lines at new Kroger and lines at Disney have lot in common”
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Chancery judge delays JRA bond approval for Jackson's Westin hotel
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- KILL BILL: Common Core death knell heads to Gov. Bryant's desk
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities